Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Smile Cheeeeese; CLICK!!!



Have you ever faced that torturous passport-sized photo clicking session?

“Say cheese, smile a bit, relax…don’t bite your lips, tilt your head bit to the side.”

CLICK!

“Hmmm, no one more…. Bend your head down a bit.”


By this time I am looking at my mum just wishing the stupid photographer would disappear.

CLICK!

“Fine”


Why do I feel as if I have finally been freed from the gladiator’s arena? Am I now a photo-phobic? When I was young my father clicked infinite photos of me, and you bet I posed like a little doll for each. I have seen one of mine sitting on a stool with some cute looking doll…hmm, I don’t know how that came about; all I have ever loved as a kid has been fast toy cars, puzzles and stuffed toys. Anyway, I have another of me when I crawled into a red VIP suitcase when Papa was going off on some tour. He grabbed the camera and immortalized by dimpled smile.

Nowadays, I run from the camera. I just do not like it. Click, click, click… I am hardly ever satisfied with the photograph. Look at the number of cameras around you, almost every one of us has a camera phone. Every single little thing is now an occasion to shoot. Grrr, almost on cue…while typing this away my dear colleague and friend Ashutosh has just clicked one of me. See, you just cannot escape.

You know I have nothing against the art; I have done a six month photography course under Mr. O P Sharma – an acclaimed international level photographer. It is from him that I developed a love for black and white photography. It is funny how the seemingly simple play of shadows comes out so poignantly in the black and white colour scheme. As far as portraits go, would you not agree that somehow the best are of little innocent kids and the wrinkled faces of the old timers. They are both selfless and carefree.

As a young adult you are perhaps more conscious of your outer beauty, and the correct ‘image’. We have an incredible amount of pressure on what the correct smile, skin colour and body type should be. Babies are lucky; the cute bald little sugar cubes look sweet any way! And toothless grannies have never had it better ;-)

Anyway, guess for now I will have to grin and bear it… Go ahead and say it –
CHEEEEESE. CLICK!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, in this POST, the agony of going through the matrimonial photography is not reflected... Thank Lord, you didn't (have to) go through that :-)

Akansha Pradhan said...

i wud to love hear about ur experience on that score! i am calearly escaping that ;P

tapeshkotwani said...

who moved my cheese aks